So yeah...Levi got glasses. A few weeks ago, we noticed that his eye was a little ambliopic (lazy, towards the nose) we had noticed it before, on occasion, but we chocked it up to him being a baby, because babies eyes do that from time to time. Then when we were in Chillicothe, I began to notice that his eye would drift outward slightly when he wasn't focused or looking far away. We immediately got worried, so I emailed my doctor who told us to contact a ophthalmologist right away.
We figured it would be a simple case of a weak eye, and a few months of patching would clear it right up. On the Monday after we returned, I took him for his appointment. After 2 hours of dilating, and eye tests, the doctor smiled and said, 'Just a few more minutes, and I'll be done. Then we can chat.' Ugh, chat. she said CHAT. I knew it wasn't good. When we finally got to the 'chatting' part, she was real nonchalant about it, and said "So, your son's eyes are a completely different glasses prescription." uhhh..okkaaay I thought. "His right eye is perfect, but his left eye is extremely near sighted. His prescription is -6.5" (that's real bad).
So, she gave me instruction on how to get glasses, which she confirmed that he would have to wear during all waking hours, for basically...ever, and we would have to patch him 1 hour a day to re-engage the eye with his brain. His brain had started to not use it, hence the Intermittent Strabismus we were noticing.
So, Scott and I dealt with the news in our own ways, ya know, you don't really expect something like that, and of course we were bad patients and we researched it on the Internet. Stupid Idea. Anyway, he has severe Myopia (nearsightedness). He can only see clearly for a few inches in his left eye. We have a follow up appointment in a few days, and it will be nice to ask more questions, hopefully to ease some of our worries, and answer some questions.
Anywho, Levi has a new look now, and if I say so myself, He's totally rocking his new specs. Plus, he is a little celebrity anywhere he goes. He's doing awesome with his glasses, and rarely bothers them. He likes to pull them down when he's eating...naturally. (See: Food Everywhere).
There isn't a huge difference between how he interacts with the world. But, he does have more confidence. He likes to sit and play with toys, and can get up and down with ease. You can definitely tell he has depth perception now, something that wasn't noticeable before, but looking back, makes sense of his apprehension towards certain things.
We met daddy after work, and picked up our glasses. Levi loved them!
Levi had a whole new world to explore once we got home.
Pure joy
This photo cracks me up. He looks 30!
Excuse me while I go die, because this photo is killing me.
Please note: He's wearing his first pair of Levi's!





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!