So, this is my last Belize post. It's been a few days since we've been back and I'm still on cloud 9...and apparently, still on Belize time. I was up until 4am the other night, I even finished the book I was reading. I've thoroughly enjoyed going through my photos and reminiscing. This is one of the very best trips I've ever taken. There were so many cool things that I can't even describe. Sometimes you forget that the entire world doesn't live just like you, or that it's okay not to be stressed and running around all the time. It's OKAY to GO SLOW.
We read a lot about the country through travel books at the house. We learned some fascinating facts. Here are some things we learned...
1.Even though there are only about 320,000 residents in the entire country of Belize, it is a very diverse culture.
2. Belize seems to have two very strong identities as both Central American and Caribbean.
3. The majority population are Mestizos- A mix between Spanish and Maya, and about 21% are Creoles. There is a small population of Asians, Mennonites, and White Americans/Canadians and British
4. Since it was an English Colony, The entire population speaks English and Spanish, and most speak Belizean Creole. Only about 30% of the population speak Spanish as their first language.
5. There are only around 100 homeless people in the entire country.
6. Their national bird is the Toucan...I'm bummed we didn't get to see one!
Even though there are only about 500 adults on the island, they really have a diverse religious culture.
1. The Rastafarians...previously mentioned.
2. One night we passed a small Tent Revival of Pentecostals....we heard LOTS of wailing.
3. There a small Jehovah's Witness congregation and we were able to see inside one of their meetings. (Not nearly as dramatic as the Pentecostals.)
4. There was a Roman Catholic church as well.
The Grocery Stores left something to be desired. Luckily the restaurants, (which were delicious) did not get their bulk supplies from them...
1. It seemed the grocery stores were mostly there for the visitors. They tried to stock things we would like. But, there never seemed to be enough supplies to make an actual meal. So we would just eat mac-n-cheese. But, I love Mac-n-cheese so it was perfect.
2. They don't refrigerate their eggs, so we obviously didn't eat eggs.
3. Their milk is kinda weird, and at one point I drank it spoiled after it sat in the refrigerator during a power outage (we suspect). Luckily I didn't get sick!
4. Do NOT eat chocolate flavored things. We bought a big box of Cocoa Crispies from Kellogs, but for some reason they put an additive in, which tasted horrible. So, if you get chocolate, make sure it does NOT have the additive.
6. At one of the Chinese owned grocery stores, we noticed almost everything was marked down in price....that was because it was all expired! Priorities...I guess?
Other random observations...
1. Their primary source of water is rain water, it is safe to drink, but a lot of people have the 5 gallon water jugs in their home.
2. Most of the residents lived in little concrete, 1-2 room homes. There is no need for insulation, they really just need coverage from rain. Most did not have A/C, and some no running water, but most have electricity and some had TVs.
4. They can't flush their toilet paper....Even after 4 days back home, I still have moments of slight panic when I flush toilet paper. That was a daily struggle. haha.
All in all, it was fantastic. I'm already wanting to go back someday!
On our last morning, we got up at 5am and watched the sunrise.
COCONUT!!!!!!
Okay....let's be honest. The whole point of this picture is to show off my new purse that I bought in San Pedro. Oh..and I'm standing at The Split
At the very end of the island watching a cloudy sunset.
Last day snorkeling...
A native Belizean said this was a Wish Willy. They can get to 4-5 feet long.
We spent one of our days on the neighboring island of Ambergis Caye. We walked around San Pedro, which was a bigger and busier version of Caye Caulker.
We much preferred the quiet of Caulker.
We much preferred the quiet of Caulker.
Us and Mr. Turtle
One of the two cemetaries...directly beside a restaurant.
Pizza Caulker. A place so nice, we ate their twice!
The Rastafarian house beside our Rental House.
The necklace I'm wearing is real turquoise and the earrings are a mix of Abalone and Mother of Pearl. and I bought them from resident vendors on the island.
I love them!
Grocery delivery to the island at dusk
How precious is this? The little boy was 'feeding' little rocks to the fish below.
Our last sunset.
In the shade I flourish. - Official Belizean Motto
Thanks for going on this journey with me! :) We had a great time. Maybe this will inspire you to take your own trip there. It's such a well kept secret...so far!
In the shade I flourish. - Official Belizean Motto
Lauren Marie










No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!