There is seriously no end one what one can enjoy in this city. So, on days off when Scott and I are ready enjoy the city and it's hard to choose what to do. Week after week, we relax more and are finding more time for enjoyment, Scott is finally settling in nicely to his job (transitions are always a bit tough), and it's starting to sink in that we live here and we are really having crazy fun!
So, we decided to spend the day at The Metropolitan Museum of Art! Having a Columbia ID, Scott got in free and my ticket was only $12, so it was a fun filled day on such a small amount of money!
The Met is incredible, it's located at the edge of Central Park on the Upper East Side. It is about 2,000,000 square feet of floor space, with several million art pieces. It is the largest museum in the United States and is in the top ten largest museums in the world. The first floor is designated for Sculptures and Antiquities, where you find Greek and Roman marble works of art, Egyptian mummies, Medieval Suits of Armor, and many more fascinating pieces, including a gorgeous collection of Faberge Eggs. The upper floors boast works of Art from Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, among many other famous painters, it has wings dedicated to Islamic, Assyrian, Asian, Oceanic Art, and much more.
We spent roughly 4 hours there and were pretty tired by the end, even after taking a break to eat some yummy frozen yogurt in the cafe! this is definitely at the top of my list to do again on a rainy Saturday, There was so much we didn't even get to see and other things I could sit and stare at for a while.
^^photo borrowed from MTA.com,
the front of the building is currently undergoing some construction hindering any good photo ops.

Perseus with the head of Medusa
by: Antonio Canova
The same artist who created my favorite sculpture 'Cupid Reviving Psyche' which sits in The Louvre.

^^A real French Hotel Room^^
^^A part of a real temple brought over from Egypt,
the second (and larger) half is behind Scott who is taking the photo.
^^I love me an awesome Sphinx! Ancient Egypt always fascinated me!
^^The Creation of the earth by Antonio Canova.


^^The depth and detail in Van Gogh's paintings are incredible.
This is my favorite of his 'Cypress' collection
^^One of Van Gogh's many self portraits
^^Nymphs and Satyr
By: William Bouguerbeau (French)
^^Incredible Assyrian Art
La Frileuse (Winter),
This bronze piece was one of my favorites..
she is one of the four seasons created by
Jean-Antoine Houdon in 1787 at Versailles for Louis Philippe II, Duc L'Orleans.
^^I'm also a sucker for Greek mythology. I just find it fascinating!
This is a sarcophagus with a scene of a musical contest between the Muses and Sirens. Athena, Zeus and Hera are seen presiding over the contest on the far left.
^^Nydia, The blind flower girl of pompeii
I love the detail!
**Columbia spouses can get CU ids, and if having one means I can get in free as well, I would be here A LOT! Let's hope that's the case, it's the next best thing to The Louvre!
Lauren Marie










I'm very offended by the statue penis.
ReplyDeleteHahaha!! Oh I love you.
ReplyDelete