Happy Father's Day!

A father holds a special place in a kids heart. He is a protector, a provider, a coach, your #1 fan, he teaches you how to fish, he takes you on a special day to King's Island, he is the coolest guy around, and if you are a little girl, you will probably state proudly that 'I will marry Daddy!'. Both Scott and I have fond memories of our dads. Thankfully, we are still making memories every year.


From Lauren:

How would I sum up my childhood? Probably 'Adventure!' Growing up on 40 acres, with tons of animals and the coolest dad around, he wanted to make sure that we had the best childhood that we could ever dream up. He definitely succeeded. He worked so hard for our family, long hours, climbing dangerous electric poles, even leaving in the middle of the night for a storm to make sure that families had electricity. Even with all of that hard work, he never missed out on our lives. Periodically, dad asks if I remember growing up in Welston, OH. Honestly, I'm not sure if I actually remember it, or if I'm remembering his reminiscent stories of our first years together. We were such a team. He took me squirrel hunting, we would take our little canoe out on the pond, bonfires at the barn, he was the one who even taught me to run! He was also my protector. The turkey, in the photo below, once trampled me in the barn yard! Dad quickly came to my rescue. Then, he started equipping me to handle myself and to be a tough little cookie! He was mine and I was his.

As my sisters and I grew up, dad kept working hard and providing for our family. We NEVER missed a year going to Nags Head, NC. It was by far the most important part of the entire year (other than Christmas). Family was the most important thing in our life. He made sure that he was at all of our ball games, he even coached for a while! Lydia, Liberty and I had dad wrapped around our fingers, there was no way he could say no to anything his little girls said, but,  it's not like he ever wanted to! If there was  a pet we wanted, no matter how crazy, he made sure we got it, much to the chagrin of my mother, (God bless her for dealing with it!) He was also a great spiritual leader in our home. He made sure that we grew up with a strong moral code and his biggest prayer for our lives, was that we would grow to know Christ the way he had, and much more, and I'm so thankful he did.

He also equipped us to take care of ourselves. he always made sure that we could protect ourselves and gave us a strong sense of patriotism. I learned how to shoot a gun as soon as I could hold one up! We always knew he was proud of us. He taught us to reach for the stars, he wanted us to have big dreams and follow them to the end. Who I am today I can attribute to my dad (and my mom!). I couldn't have asked God to bless me with better parents.

Thank you for being there through thick and thin, and giving me the best childhood in the world, you loved me first, my #1 fan.


Also, I want to make a shout out to my father-in-law, Rick. You have always been so wonderful to me. Ever since I was 16, you were such a kind soul and made me feel so at home in your house. It was also nice to bond over our mutual love of cats. It's been so nice to have a 'second dad' to support Scott and me. Thank you for raising such a wonderful son. If it weren't for you (and Liz!) Scott wouldn't be the man he is today. I look forward to many more years in your family. Thank you for making me a part of yours.

-Lauren

Teaching me the ways of the farm, in Welston, OH.

From Scott:

It was a weeknight ritual as a kid:  watching TV and playing with my Legos on the living room floor, waiting to hear that garage door raising up and the "click" of the door handle. Dad was home! Across the kitchen I flew like a bolt of lightning, with Mom ducking out of the way as she worked on a delicious dinner. Up into the air I launched off the step into the family room and up into Dad's arms for a great big hug!  Now that I'm grown up, I can only imagine how exhausted he had to be after a long day, but he was never too tired to drop his briefcase and catch that little boy flying through the air.

He was the epitome of "Mr. Fix-it":  no matter what was broken, Dad always got it put back together. That's still true to this day; I may be nearly 26 now, but when the car makes a scary noise, or the washing machine starts spilling water all over the floor, I know he's just a phone call away and somehow these little emergencies don't seem so insurmountable.  He was the best science project partner imaginable, and even with his busy work schedule and all the time it took to keep up with projects at home, he never failed to sit down and help me through the toughest homework problems. He was the man who taught me to fish, and that fishing was more about the time you spent than the fish you caught. He was my breakfast buddy:  I loved those mornings we'd wake up extra early and go have a big breakfast at Bob Evans, talking and laughing while I drank my hot chocolate, and then he'd drop me off at school. I still treasure those simple memories and the way he'd always make time for what mattered, all the countless soccer games and plays and band concerts and awards ceremonies.  He set the example of the kind of man I wanted to become: devoted to our family, hard working, patient, gentle, slow to anger, always filled with good wisdom and, well... a lot of fun! :)

Thanks to you, Dad, just for being you! I love you very much, and Happy Father's Day!!

And I won't steal Lauren's thunder, but I wanted to say Happy Father's day to my wonderful Father-in-Law as well! Buzz, you've been a larger-than-life figure since I first met you at 16, you taught me so many things (including how to shoot a gun!), and most of all... you walked your firstborn daughter down the aisle and entrusted her to me... I can't even imagine standing in those shoes, though years ago you told me I'm fated to have all daughters, so maybe I'll get my chance. I couldn't have asked for a better father-in-law, even if you did scare me to death when I first started hanging around with Lauren ;) I love you, and hope you have a happy Father's Day! :)

-Scott

Fishin' with dad. Scott and Rick at the Foreman's Club

Dad and his girls in Yoctangee Park
Dad has the BEST ideas! Dad and Daughter date to Kings Island (before I almost died on the backwards Racer)
Best Day Ever! A 'Scott and dad only' trip to Kings Island! Riding the Son of Beast 2000
Tearing up the yard at our home in Welston- like father like daughter.
This photo is boss. That is all I can say. Rick DeHart

4th of July picnic 2012
Celebrating 'Merica 2012!(Me, Scott, Rick and Liz)

Dad and his family! OBX 2011
Dad and his girls OBX 2012
Occasionally, we target shoot together! Thanksgiving 2011 (Rick, Scott, Lauren, Buzz)

The second most important man in a child's life, is the Grandpa. Grandpas are important because they raised your dad to be who he is as a father, taught him how to be a man, and later on they are the ones who always have a knife at Christmas to open presents, give you the best hugs and kisses and they very well may spoil you anytime you are around.

Although 3 of the 4 grandpas have past from this life, we cherish the moments we had with them. Papaw (Detty) and Grandpa DeHart, past in the year 2010, while we were engaged. We were sad they couldn't share in our wedding day, but we are so happy that they were able to see us get engaged.

Papaw and Grandmother Detty  Beach- Sometime in the '90s.

In June 2004, I went to The United Kingdom with Grandmother and Papaw

Wonderful Grandparents make sure they are there to celebrate the successes of their grandchildren. (Grandma and Grandpa DeHart at Jeff's Graduation 20020
Papaw with Lydia and our cousin Nick- The beach mid '90s 
Father and Son. (Scott's dad and Grandpa)

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO THE BEST DADS IN THE WORLD!!! 

LOVE ALWAYS, 

Lauren Marie and Scotty D

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!