Reflecting on Winter




I was scrolling through Facebook the other day, and a friend posted a quote about the seasons that really struck me. I usually trudge through winter, just hoping for spring. I pop up my head every once in a while and stand in awe of the snow, but other than that, winter is hard (especially pregnant and in the city.....don't even get me started about grocery shopping at 25 weeks pregnant and carrying heavy groceries up hill on un-salted sidewalks) Anyway....


It said, "I believe the pattern of the seasons — rest in winter, awakening in spring, summer activity, followed again by a season of rest and reflection — was ordained for a reason. Our body, mind, and spirit need those down times in order to rejuvenate." -Jenny Cazolla, Homestead

I've been trying to remind myself that this is winter and it is preparing me for an awakening in the spring, so I will be ready to take on Summer. I feel it is especially true for us this year with a baby on the way. This spring, we will be on the brink of welcoming our son, so it will be full of preparations. I am ready and excited for the preparations to begin after a winter of rest (and lots of naps). This summer will bring a new life into this world and I want to be ready and prepared (or at least as much as I can be) for that day to happen.

Winter plays an important part in our life. It makes us slow down (maybe not as much in the city...where things seem to get harder during the winter). But it makes us rely on each other more, spend more time relaxing and reflecting, less time running around, seeing new things. Now I feel like I am prepared to take on the busyness that is spring and summer!

Of course, I posted this after our trip to sunny SoCal, and now it seems spring is on the way, but it doesn't make my feelings any less relevant. We have more winters ahead of us, and at least one more in the city, so I'm just going to put this here to remind myself of these words next year, when I'm dreading the long, dark winter months. Hopefully I will look on them and see their beauty and purpose.





City College

One of the few days I was actually left my apartment, it happened to be a gorgeous day. The sun was out but the snow was still on the ground. I walked a bit through Central Park South and snapped a few photos. The sun and beauty was just what my soul needed that day.















No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!