Savannah, Georgia: A Dad and Daughter Trip


Once a year, my dad goes on a business trip to somewhere pretty wonderful. The best part, is that he always takes one or two of us along with him. This year, his conference was in Savannah and he invited me! Nobody else could go, so I geared up with my Nikon and Bicycle and after a 10 hour drive, I was ready to explore this revolutionary town!





We stayed at the Riverfront Marriott where we had easy access to River Street where all the restaurants were. For Lunch and Dinner, dad and I would walk down the river and pick a place to eat. By far, the BEST part of being on the river, was watching the GIANT cargo ships that would slowly glide up and down the river. We would basically revert to small children with our kid-like excitement as the floating cities passed silently by. We would ponder such things like, Where they were going and what they were carrying. We were dying to know what it felt like to be one of the tiny people standing atop the ship, looking at us, as as they travelled to who knows where. Each ship was painted with its origin, Panama, Singapore, China, we wanted to know where they were adventuring to next. 

Each morning, dad would leave for sessions and I would pack up and hit the town. For someone who loves history, it was great wandering a town with so much history; walking the cobblestone streets, sitting under old Live Oaks with their Spanish Moss, marveling at the beautiful buildings, I can understand why people love this city. In the evenings, we would head out to Tybee Island for some beach walking and we ended the night with ice cream from River Street and a free Ferry Ride across the Savannah River. This my friends, is how you do Savannah.

Lunch at the Boar's Head



Lately, I have had a thing for cemeteries. I know, it's weird. But, they are so full of history and they are always so beautifully manicured. In the midst of historical downtown, was the Colonial Cemetery. This is the final resting place for many patriots from the revolutionary war. I really really loved this cemetery. It was one of my favorite sites in Savannah. Although in the middle of town, it felt so serene walking under the spanish moss.

Oglethorpe was the founder of the Colony of Georgia





Savannah was also home to a few cute shops that I really fell in love with. The Savannah Bee Company is seriously one of the cutest, most unique shops ever ever been to. They have many different kinds of honeys that are beautifully bottled and you can taste test them all. There is definitely not a shortage of honey products (soaps, lotions, wine, lip balm, and much more). I didn't want to leave, it was such a cute place! Just beside the SBC, stood an adorable coffee shop called the The Coffee Fox, even though it was the middle of the day and I had already had my coffee, I went straight in and bought a cup for two reasons. 1. I had to experience it because I ADORE foxes, 2. The Mug was a must have!

The Savannah Bee Company

There were so many parks. Most of the city is under the shade of giant Live Oak Trees. I spent a lot of time just sitting and people watching. It was really peaceful.



Quite possibly the most magical door I've ever seen.
It reminds me of one of my favorite childhood movies
The Secret Garden
Gorgeous Forsyth Park

Dad and I really enjoyed taking the ferry across the river. No, we didn't get off on the other side, we just stayed on as passengers boarded and went straight back. I mean, who can resist a free boat ride?




Cute Little Tug Boat!
General Sherman's Headquarters
Both nights we drove out to Tybee Island. There was barely a soul on the beach and we walked up and down the beach, letting the warm tide run between our toes. We would climb up on the giant lifeguard's chair and watched the world dim. We love the beach.










What a wonderful trip! I was so thankful dad took me. I really loved having time with dad and getting him all to myself! I can't wait to take Scott to Savannah, it's a city I definitely need to visit again! 


Lauren Marie


1 comment: